Ruffles and Barbie cake

I grew up playing with Barbie dolls. If I remember it right, I had three dolls, and I'd ask my auntie to sew clothes for them. I'd look for cloth scraps and draw some designs on my pad paper. It was my first attempt at designing something, and I thoroughly enjoyed dressing up my dolls. However, as I got older, I grew tired of Barbie (her hair was too high maintenance; I hated combing it all the time). I even started to get irritated at her. When I started making cakes, I didn't exactly enjoy making Barbie-themed cakes. I simply hated the fact that a lot of small girls (and moms) wanted Barbie-themed parties. Could you have a little more imagination please? Barbie is so over-used and over-rated!

Anyhow, I accepted an order for a Barbie cake. I didn't exactly know what to do with it at first.

Naked Barbie and Naked cake: Hands up Barbie!
Cake is my favorite best-selling chocolate fudge. Bottom layer is 8 inches round 2 inches thick.
Barbie's skirt is 6 inches round and about 5 inches thick.

Hmmmm...but then I thought why not use ruffles? I haven't tried decorating a cake with ruffles yet, and this would be a good chance. Thankfully, the mom approved of a ruffled cake.

So I went on to work using my Garett cutter (I think that's what you call that circle cutter with frilly edges) and my fondant tool. I thought that it would be easy work, but I was wrong. It was tiring and tedious. As a matter of fact, my right arm was really numb when I finished the skirt. My neck and back where aching too. After all, I used fondant for the skirt instead of just piping buttercream ruffles (but I shouldn't be too quick to judge buttercream ruffles since I haven't tried doing them yet). The point is, this ruffled Barbie cake definitely took more time and effort than my Barbie cake with buttercream rosettes. Never mind though, because I was really happy with the final result.

barbie cake with ruffles
Isn't she lovely? And she matches my store's color scheme. 

Isn't she lovely? I just love how my ruffles turned out! Not bad for a first-timer! I think I am obsessed with ruffles now. I want to make more ruffled cakes!



Comments